Ecocert is the first certification body to develop a standard for “Natural, Organic Cosmetics”.
THE FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES OF THE ECOCERT STANDARD
In order to guarantee a cosmetic product that respects the environment, the Ecocert standard establishes:
1. The use of ingredients from renewable resources and modified through procedures respectful with the environment. Therefore, Ecocert checks for:
• The absence of any genetically modified products, parabens, phenoxyethanol, nanoparticles, silicone, PEG, synthetic aromas and colourants, ingredients of animal origin (except natural products such as milk, honey, etc.).
• Biodegradability or recyclability of the packaging.
2. The minimum threshold of natural ingredients from organic farming required in order to be awarded the certificate:
• In all cases, a minimum percentage of 95% of all ingredients used must be natural or from a natural source.
• In order to obtain the Organic Cosmetics label:
– A minimum percentage of 95% of the plant ingredients must be from organic farming.
– A minimum percentage of 10% of all ingredients must be from organic farming.
• In order to obtain the Natural Cosmetics label:
– A minimum percentage of 50% of the plant ingredients must be from organic farming.
– A minimum percentage of 5% of all ingredients must be from organic farminga